Date(s) - Monday, September 16, 2019
9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Building a Better Future is a 5-module workshop designed to train successfully reunified birth parents to be mentors to birth parents who have children in out-of-home placement. Our main goal is to support and mentor parents who have children in foster care, to increase communication and appropriate self-advocacy with those involved in the Child Protective case, and to increase child safety and decrease time in an out-of-home placement.
The primary audience members for BABF workshops are:
- Those who are in training to become Parent Partners
- Those who are currently serving as Parent Partners
- Those who are involved in their local Parent Partner Program (as Program Allies or Parent Partner Aides)
- Adult youth or foster care alumni
- Frontline workers/assessment workers from DHS and other child/family serving agencies
- Supervisors and administrators from DHS and other child/family serving agencies
- Foster parents – CASA workers
- Juvenile Court attorneys
- Family Drug Court providers
- Kinship caregivers
- Community partners and agencies that serve families and children
- Have a better understanding of the Parent Partner Guiding Principles, Philosophy and Mission Statement.
- To build a diverse team.
- Introduce participants to the feelings foster parents and kinship care providers may have when they care for children who have been removed from their parents.
- Familiarize participants with the kinds of feelings parents may have over time about separation from their children.
- Building a Better Future is based on the belief that family is the foundation for all children, regardless of where they live. Children understand their past and move towards their future based on relationships and experiences with family members.
- Building a Better Future promotes a strengths-based approach to working with parents. All parents have strengths no matter what challenges they face. It is the agency’s job, in part, to help parents identify and build on those strengths.
- In summary, Building a Better Future is a key strategy to improve practice with birth families, but it cannot stand alone. Real practice reform must be led by committed, senior level leaders willing to make the policy, administrative, and resource allocation changes needed to ensure the success of this effort.
This training has been approved for 13.5 contact hours and 16.2 CEU, meeting the standards and criteria specified in 645-281.3 Continuing Education for Social Workers. This training is also approved for foster parent training credits.
Please print and fill out this certificate and bring it to the training. Have your caseworker and training facilitator sign the form to ensure you receive the CEUs available. Always notify your caseworker or recruiter of your intention to attend any of the training or support group events on this calendar. Acceptable proof would also include the signature of the trainer on either training materials or notes that includes the title and date of the training. Please fill out this form and send it to April Gardner at email@example.com by Sept. 3. If you have any questions, please call 712.460.2511.